Dertigen ("thirtying") is a fairly simple drinking involving 8 dice that I sometimes used to play in Groningen.
I did a game-theoretic analysis of the game to find out the optimal strategy, and to find out whether it should be classified as a game of skill or a game of chance.
Below you will find some researches concerning this analysis.
The following resources are available:
- An article from the March 2008 CLOE (the magazine of my student society) introducing the game and alluding to the game-theoretic analysis
- A report describing the game and my game-theoretic analyis (the article in the Dutch "Staatscourant" referred to in the report can be found here)
- A handout summarising various strategies and their merits (suitable for taking along when you play the game)
- Source code of the simulator referred to in the above report
- Windows command-line version of the simulator
- Simulator with advanced knowledge, used for the game of chance/game of luck part of the paper
Last update: March 2, 2014 by Meilof Veeningen.